At enterprises engaged in the cultivation of crops, used powerful and expensive equipment. If the economy is small, the acquisition of such equipment is impractical. As a rule, for processing a small area, it is enough to have a tiller and various attachments. One of the necessary elements is the potato digger.
The principle of operation of such products is quite simple - while the motoblock is moving, the teeth of the product penetrate the soil and take out the potato tubers to the surface. If you already have a walk-behind tractor, but you haven’t purchased such attachments yet, you can make it yourself.
Types of potato diggers
All described devices can be divided into 2 types. The first is different in that they look like a spade created in the shape of a heart. On top of these products have long teeth. Such a potato digger works as follows:
- Its sharp part begins to go deep into the soil, lifting it up. During this process, the potato is raised. Tubers during this process remain on the teeth of the potato digger.
- After that, the earth begins to wake up between the teeth, and the tubers roll down and remain on the surface of the earth.
During the acquisition of such products it is important to choose the right model for your site. Potato harvesters can be designed for light, medium and heavy soils.
The most commonly used products of vibration type. They have a plowshare, and the grilles are mounted on wheels. During the operation of such products, the ploughshare plunges into the ground and, raising it, directs it to the grates. In this case, sifting is mechanical.
Also used conveyor devices for motoblocks. They are equipped not only with a sifter net, but with a tape, which allows shaking off the soil with potatoes more qualitatively. Often, a potato chopper is created for the motoblock with its own hands, having a simple design.
Choice of potato diggers depending on the type of motoblock
Choosing potato diggers for motoblock, it is worth learning about some features of these mechanisms:
- Motorblocks weighing 110-160 kg are used in tandem with conventional potato tenders. It is worth noting that diesel devices are more efficient. It is important to remember that using potato diggers requires a low movement speed. In this case, the device must have sufficient traction ability. If the revs of the gasoline engine are reduced, it will not be able to hold the torque and stall. If the momentum is maintained at a maximum, the walk-behind tractor moves with greater speed than is needed for digging up potatoes. Devices that do not have reduced speed and run on gasoline, are not designed to carry out such work.
- Often used tillers of the middle class with a vibrating potato tender. They are adapted to most of the motoblocks and can be used on devices of different capacities.
- Heavy tillers can be used as with conventional products. So with the vibration type devices. It is worth noting that the models of the second type can significantly increase the speed of harvesting.
Knowing the features of your own motoblock, you can choose the right product for digging up potatoes.
Compatibility of products with various tillers
The described products must be selected taking into account the characteristics of a specific motoblock. They can be both universal and designed for specific mechanisms. The most commonly used vibrating potato diggers, so it is worth considering them in more detail.
On the Neva tillers you can install both universal potato diggers and specialized products intended only for this unit. When using universal models, the depth of immersion in the soil is regulated by means of support wheels.
When choosing a particular model, one should take into account such characteristics of the potato digger as the width of tillage, the maximum depth and the speed of the motor-block. The width should be 38 cm, depth - 20, and the optimal speed of advancement is two kilometers per hour.
The potato digger for the KKM-1 motoblock is designed for light and medium soils that have a moisture content of up to 27 percent. In order not to be mistaken during the acquisition of a potato digger for a specific motoblock, it is worthwhile to carefully study the documentation proposed for the mechanism. It will contain a list of products that are compatible with the motorblock.
Attachments, which are created for Neva devices, differ from universal products by their lower weight and width of surface treatment. The performance of such metal structures is from 0.15 to 0.2 hectares per hour. It is worth noting that the size of such potatoes is optimized for a specific motoblock, so they can be more efficient. It is worth noting that they are less expensive than universal models. When purchasing a potato digger it is important to pay attention to the quality of its assembly.
Making potato diggers with your own hands
Despite the low cost of the described products, some owners of suburban areas create their own. This avoids unnecessary expenses. With experience in working with metal, the creation of such a design is quite simple.
A potato digger drawing can be made by examining the documentation attached to a specific walker. The documents indicate the required size and weight of attachments. Before work is necessary to prepare all the necessary tools.
It should be noted that it is possible to make both a simple product and a potato-type shovel stick of a vibration type. Creating a structure is as follows:
- The first stage involves sawing a square-shaped pipe into 4 parts. Two pieces should be 1200 mm and 2 by 800. The size of the pipe being cut should be 40 * 40 mm. Created parts are connected to each other by welding in a rectangle.
- At the second stage, jumpers are created. They are necessary for the installation of vertical rods required for control.
- After this, the uprights of the vertical type are fixed. From the side. Where jumpers are located, at a small distance from the edge of the frame, squares of 30 * 30 mm are fixed. They must be 500 mm long. Racks are interconnected by a jumper.
- The next step is the production of ral. Sheet metal with a thickness of 0.3 mm is used for this. Sheets are welded to each other end-to-end.
- After this, bars, which act as sifters, are welded to ralu.
The use of agricultural machinery greatly simplifies the process of harvesting and contributes to the expenditure of less energy. But in order for the equipment to work efficiently, it is necessary to select or manufacture it correctly. That is why it is important to thoroughly examine the structure of the potato digger and determine the optimal size. The process of using the described products is presented in the video.