Today, the agricultural industry offers gardeners and gardeners a huge selection of various fertilizers - organic and mineral. However, many experienced farmers prefer to use horse manure as fertilizer. They know very well how to use it in order to get consistently high yields.
The long-term use of horse manure in the agro-industrial sector has long proved its undoubted benefit for increasing crop yields, as well as increasing their resistance to various diseases.
The advantages of horse fertilizer
Gardeners use other varieties of natural fertilizers, but choosing which manure is better - chicken, horse or cow, many prefer horse. It is different:
- greater dryness and lightness, which allows loosening of heavy clay soils;
- rich in the most important mineral elements;
- higher rate of decomposition compared to cow or pig manure;
- water retention effect on light sandy soils;
- good heat dissipation;
- low content of weed seeds;
- resistant to pathogenic microflora.
However, in some cases it is undesirable to use horse manure:
- if the mass is covered with fungal plaque, it is useless for warming the soil;
- horse manure that has not decayed to the end produces too much ammonia and is harmful to cucumber beds;
- using this organic fertilizer on a potato field can cause scab;
- With a high density of soil, manure slowly decomposes with the release of methane and hydrogen sulphide and can damage plant roots.
Horse Manure Types
Organic matter can be used in different forms and at any stage of decomposition.
Fresh humus is easy to identify in appearance - it contains undecomposed plant residues. Over time, the mass will become more uniform in composition and darker in color. The use of fresh humus as a fertilizer can have negative consequences for plants, since:
- it will inhibit their development and may even burn the roots due to the large heat transfer;
- manure contains fresh weed seeds that will quickly germinate in the garden;
- Spores in fresh mass can cause fungal diseases.
Application of manure in the fall
It is better to bring fresh horse manure to the beds in the autumn when the entire crop has been harvested. By spring, it will decompose and will be an excellent feeding for seedlings. Manure application in the fall to the beds should be followed by quick digging so that no significant part of the nitrogen contained in it is lost. Mixing with straw and a small amount of ash, you can use this substrate:
- cover tree trunks for the winter;
- fall asleep in the between rows of berry crops;
- make a "warm litter" under the cucumber or cabbage beds.
Use in spring
In the spring, fresh horse manure is used as an indispensable biofuel for greenhouses. The heat released by him during decomposition heats the beds evenly during the cool spring months, and carbon dioxide saturates the soil and loosens it, makes it airy. With the help of warm beds arranged in such a way, it is possible to grow watermelons even in the cold northern regions.
In the spring, fresh manure can also be used:
- for carrying out liquid dressings, mixing with water;
- mixed with mineral fertilizers;
- for the preparation of compost from horse manure and sawdust, straw, fallen leaves.
Half-broken organic mass can be:
- feed garden crops - zucchini, cabbage, cucumbers;
- fertilize flower beds;
- mulch pink bushes;
- diluted with water, used as a liquid fertilizer;
- use when digging beds.
In manure, the color darkens to almost black, and the weight is almost halved. It is a fertile substrate that is used:
- when preparing the soil for seedlings;
- for fertilizing vegetable crops and garden trees.
The last stage of decomposition
At the final stage of horse manure decomposition, humus is formed - a valuable organic fertilizer that:
- is a universal feed for all garden and garden plants;
- significantly accelerates their growth and development;
- improves the taste of most root vegetables, for example, radish and onions lose bitterness when applied;
- improves soil structure;
- increases the yield of fruit trees;
- can be used for mulching.
It is important to ensure that manure is properly stored. Then it will contain a richer content of useful elements. There are two methods for storing a substance.
The cold method is preferable because it allows you to save more nitrogen and prevent overheating of the mass. Stacking of organic matter should be carried out in the following sequence:
- dig a spacious pit or build a fence;
- lay down in it layers of plant residues - straw, leaves or sawdust and fresh horse manure;
- preferably beneath a layer of peat to absorb the released slurry;
- the thickness of each layer is 15-20 cm;
- over the layers the earth or peat is poured;
- The stack is covered with a film to protect it from moisture or dryness.
With the hot method, the mass of manure is simply filled with heaps that are open to the free penetration of air. Under its action, microflora actively proliferates in them and an intensive loss of nitrogen occurs. After a few months, the mass will decrease in volume and will become friable and light.
As a fertilizer often used a solution of liquid horse manure. For its preparation, you need to pour water with a mixture of straw or sawdust with fresh organic matter and insist for two weeks, stirring occasionally. This infusion is an effective basal dressing for vegetable crops. It should be carried out after abundant watering of the beds. Do not prepare too saturated solutions of manure - they can damage the plants.
Even faster liquid dressing can be prepared from humus, infusing it with water for 2-3 days. When using the finished infusion, you need to dilute it with water twice. Periodic top dressing with liquid horse manure will provide garden crops with rapid development and high yield. Strengthen the effect of infusion, you can use nettle. It differs in the rich content of useful microelements. However, this infusion is not recommended for plants that prefer acidic soil.
Application in the form of an extract
Today, highly effective fertilizer can be purchased in any form and conveniently packaged: in bags, where it is located:
- in dry form;
- as organic fertilizer in granules;
- in diluted form in large bottles.
Especially popular was horse manure extract. Instructions for its use recommends using it for root and foliar fertilizing and for all types of soil. The product is obtained by extraction from manure using a special cleaning technology. Manufacturers guarantee when using this fertilizer:
- high germination of crops;
- excellent survival rate of transplanted seedlings;
- rich harvests of vegetables and fruits.
Top dressing with liquid fertilizer is carried out in dry weather every two weeks. Treatment should be done early in the morning or after sunset. Before using the solution must be diluted according to the instructions.
Reviews gardeners and gardeners
Karetskaya Maria, 47 years old, Ryazan. We used horse manure as fertilizer for a long time. We bring it in the fall on the beds, dig them up and cover with a film until spring. We plant vegetable plants on them. Especially good fertilizer is reflected in potatoes, zucchini, pumpkin. For strawberries, we use the rotted mass more. Gerasimov Konstantin, 62, Saratov At my site every year pereperevaet manure from a nearby stable. I fold it for the winter and close it with a film. A few months later I get a great humus, which is scattered on the beds. In the fall, mulch the berries with a mixture of peat and organic matter. The fertilizer is excellent, even better than cow's grass. Angelina Svetlova, 48 years old, Moscow. I love flowers and grow them at home. Recently I saw horse manure extract in the store, the use of which guarantees good growth and flowering. I decided to try it and did not regret it. Indeed, a very effective top dressing for household plants and quite inexpensive. Krasin Nikolay, 59 years old, OrenburgThanks to horse manure in the greenhouse every year I arrange warm beds on which I successfully grow any vegetables. The crops are high and the taste is excellent. Excellent fertilizer, I recommend it to everyone.
When used properly, horse manure is an effective fertilizer for a variety of crops. But it should be used taking into account the composition of the soil and the type of garden crops.