The sandbox is not only a place to play a child. Sculpting Easter cakes, building castles develops the thinking and motor skills of a child. Modern parents are used to buying plastic sandboxes in the store. However, these toys are very expensive and not everyone can afford. In private yards, children's sandboxes are most often made of wood, which will not be difficult to do on their own.
Choosing the best place for a wooden sandbox
The wooden sandbox made in the courtyard should not be hidden far behind the buildings. Equip a place for children to play better in the foreseeable place. It is advisable to abandon the north side of the yard, otherwise the sand will be constantly wet and cold. Bad if the sandbox all day will illuminate the sun. A child will not be able to play in intense heat. But even in the shadows you cannot completely hide the playing place. Here the sand does not warm up well.
It is optimal to install a wooden sandbox for children in a semi-illuminated place. The spreading crown of a large tree will become an ideal shelter from the heat. However, there may be some problems. It is impossible to place a children's sandbox under old and fragile trees because of the threat of falling thick branches. From fruit plantations in the sand will constantly fall harmful insects and rotten fruit.Tip! If there is only a sunny place in the yard where you can install a wooden sandbox, make a small shed over it and let the child play in any weather.
Prepare a place to install a wooden box and equip the bottom of the sandbox
According to the principle of use, children's wooden sandboxes are seasonal and all-season. The first structure can be built without a bottom. It is enough to install a small wooden box for the summer period, and in winter to remove it under a canopy. All-season sandboxes for children are installed on a permanent basis. They remain to overwinter, and so that the sand does not eventually turn into dirt, it is separated by bottom from the ground.
According to their design, seasonal and all-season wooden sandboxes represent an ordinary box, most often with a lid. They are installed and manufactured equally. The difference can only be the bottom device.Tip! The bottom is better to do for the seasonal wooden sandbox. It will prevent the germination of weeds in the sand, and the child does not dig up the ground with a spatula.
Let's look at the photo, how they make the preparation of a place under a wooden box and equip the bottom:
- Initially developing drawings of a wooden sandbox to know its size. The dimensions of the box on the site perform the markup. It is easier to do this with wooden stakes and building cord. By applying the markings with a bayonet spade, they remove the soddy soil layer to a depth of 20 cm. For the all-season wooden sandbox, you can make a gravel dump on the sides of the box, diverting water after rain or snow melting. For this side of the pit expand to 30-50 cm.
- The bottom of the excavated groove is leveled with a rake, and then lightly rammed. For all-season wooden sandbox will need to do drainage. The bottom of the pit is filled with a layer of clean sand or mixed with gravel 10 cm thick. If this is a seasonal option, then the bottom of the pit can just be crammed.
- So, we decided that for any wooden sandbox is better to do the bottom. To do this, take a geotextile and lay it on the bottom of the pit. You can use dense agrofibre or cut old polypropylene bags. When in the future the wooden box will be installed in its permanent place, the bottom material should go beyond the boundaries of the boards.
- After installing the box, all-season sandbox material tuck, then shoot staple staples to the sides, and cut off the excess. Seasonal wooden sandbox has no sense of bottom fixing. The material is simply tucked to the sides and pressed with soil.
It is according to this principle that a place is prepared where a wooden sandbox for children will be installed.
We solve the issue of making the cover
Even if parents overcame their laziness to make a sandbox with their own hands for their child, there is less and less need for making a cover of desire. Does she need it? Judge for yourself. Sand is a favorite place of yard animals in terms of the organization of the toilet. During the wind, dry sand will be blown out, and in the box will cause different debris. You do not want the child to rummage in such sand afterwards? So the cover is needed.
As a cover, you can use a piece of film, but it will always have to be pressed at night with bricks or wood. In order not to do this procedure every day, it is better to devote another half a day of time, and make a normal cover for a wooden sandbox.
The simplest model of the cover
First, consider how to make a wooden cover without much effort. Its design is an ordinary shield, shot down from boards with a thickness of 15-20 mm. Above the top cover is lined with linoleum or film so that rainwater does not penetrate through the gaps into the sand. Handles are attached on both sides for easy removal of the shield.
The disadvantage of this design is that the lid can not be opened independently by children. Even from thin boards the shield will turn out massive. The child may try to pull it aside by the handle, but there is a risk of injury.
Folding cover model
If you make a wooden sandbox with a lid, it is better to pay attention to the folding model. The photo of the scheme of such a design clearly shows how an ordinary shield turns into a comfortable bench.Tip! There are several options for making a folding cover of a wooden sandbox.
If the boards are connected with a rubber band, then such a shield can be rolled up. The lid of the two halves is fixed with loops to the opposite wooden sides, and if necessary, the segments are opened to the side.
If you want a children's sandbox made of wood to bring a real joy to your child, equip it with a folding cover with a bench. For its manufacture you need only eight loops that connect the individual elements. The cover consists of two halves, each of which contains three boards. One of them is capitally attached to the board of a wooden sandbox, and the other two are connected by loops. Outside and inside set limiters of the bars, which are the backrest support.
Preparation of material for a wooden sandbox
If, nevertheless, it was decided to build a sandbox with wood in their own hands, you should immediately prepare good edged boards. Obapoly, old rotten blanks and other trash for the box will not work. A child can get hurt about such a sandbox and pick up a splinter. Boards take new, preferably from pine. Poplar is short-lived, and oak, larch and other hardwoods are difficult to process. Perfectly grooved board. The tight connection of the grooves will prevent sand eruption in the cracks, as well as the penetration of rain water.
All wooden blanks are polished. The surface is made smooth, without a single burr. So that the wood lasts longer, it is impregnated with an antiseptic. Use mining, and even clean engine oils can not. The design will acquire an unpleasant smell, in addition, the child will constantly dirty clothes.
When the box is already done, it must be painted. It is advisable to choose multi-colored oil or acrylic paints. The bright sandbox will be pleasant to the child, and will get an attractive look.
The procedure for making boxes
So, all the materials have been prepared, and it is time to build a wooden sandbox covered with a lid with your own hands. You can make a box according to the proposed scheme. The boards are assembled from two or three planks so that their height is within 40 cm. The optimal size of the wooden box is 1.5x1.5 m, but the board is 1.8 m long. On each side of the workpiece, 15 cm recede and a hacksaw cut out the grooves . When all the boards are prepared, they will connect the groove into the groove, as shown in the diagram. For reliability of nodes use bolted connection or self-tapping screws.
To the finished wooden box in the corners and center of the boards nail the legs of a bar with a section of 50x50 mm. Supports protrude down the box, and are needed to fix the sandbox in the ground.
A assembled sandbox made of wood in the form of a square box is not considered to be a complete construction. It is time to remember the cover. It is too early to fix it, but further refinement of the wooden box depends on the design chosen. If the choice fell on a folding cover, then the ends of the sides need only be polished, and they do nothing more with them. After installing the cover on the sides of the box, most of the ends will disappear under the bench.
In the manufacture of removable cover of the shield, the child is not able to sit. Make a simple shop will help edging boards board, laid flat. In addition, this design will hide uncomfortable thin ends of the box, which the child can hit. Shops are made of four boards, the edges of which are sawed off at an angle of 45about. The scheme of fastening benches displayed in the photo.
Installing the box to its permanent place
After completion of the work on making the box should get a box with eight legs, as in this photo. The place for its installation has already been prepared, but not quite. We'll have to do a few more things:
- Downed wooden box with legs set on the prepared ground. And the litter material from the bottom of the pit for the time to be removed. Around the legs mark on the ground space for grooves.
- The box is cleaned in the direction where it is treated with an antiseptic. Wooden legs covered with bitumen mastic. So, wood will remain in the earth longer. While the construction dries out, grooves are dug out on the marked area.
- The depth of each groove should correspond to the length of the leg, taking into account that sanding with gravel 10 cm thick is made. For digging the grooves, it is better to use a garden drill with a diameter of 80-100 mm.
- Now it's time to lay the lining material in its place. The piece is larger than a wooden sandbox, so it will cover all the holes. In these places, neat holes are cut under the legs, then a box is installed. The edges of the material are turned to the sides, where it is fastened or pressed down with soil.
- An excavated trench 40-50 cm wide remained around the box. It is necessary to cover its bottom with black agrofibre and a layer of sand and gravel on top. Due to the resulting dumping, water around the sandbox will not accumulate, and the agrofibre will not allow weeds to grow.
The base of the wooden sandbox is installed on it. It remains to secure the folding cover-bench, and you can start painting the product.
Sand filling the wooden sandbox
So, the paint is dry, it's time to fill the box with sand and invite the child to the playground. The choice of filler should be approached seriously. For sandboxes use river or quarry sand, but not all of it is perfect. Too fine white sand is practically not molded, and when drying it is very dusty. In windy weather, the baby will not be able to play, as his eyes are clogged. The quartz filler of gray color will not work. There is little dust from him, but he doesn’t sculpt too, and he also scratches the child’s delicate skin. Another found gully sand orange. It has many impurities of clay, which contributes to good modeling, but it smears hands and clothes. A suitable filler is white sand with a yellowish tint, preferably medium grain.Important! Overwintered sand from the all-season sandbox in the spring is chosen for drying, and then layers of 7 cm fall asleep back into the box.
The video presents a version of a children's sandbox:
Option interesting children's sandbox made of wood
Square wooden sandbox is a classic option. If you want to surprise your child and make him a real playground, the question will have to be solved in a creative way. The photo shows a sandbox diagram in the form of a car. This is ideal for a boy. In addition to playing in the sand, the kid will travel, repair the car, or come up with a ton of other things.
This kind of entertainment can be made of moisture resistant plywood or OSB. Fragments of a car are cut out of sheets, after which they are joined according to the proposed scheme. The finished design as the most plausible can be painted to make it look like a real truck.
There are many ideas for making wooden sandboxes. Wood is very malleable, and allows you to work wonders.