Today, strawberry repairman has a great variety of varieties, although they started growing this type of fruit relatively recently. The popularity of remontant varieties is based on their yield, the berries of such strawberries are sweet and tasty - in no way inferior to ordinary garden varieties.
And yet, there are some features of growing remontant berries. What are they, and what grades of remontant strawberries are considered the best, you can learn from this article.
Peculiarities of growing remontant varieties
The remonstrant strawberry is characterized by long and extended fruiting. So, if the usual varieties of strawberries and strawberries bear fruit only once a year, then remontant varieties can produce a crop either constantly, throughout the summer season, or give all the berries in two or three doses.
It is clear that such a fruiting scheme greatly depletes strawberry bushes. To get a good harvest in the home garden, you should follow some rules of cultivation of remontant varieties:
- New varieties of strawberry remontant are almost as diverse as the usual garden types of this berry. The main division is carried out in accordance with the size of the berries: large strawberries can reach a weight of 100 grams, the mass of small fruits is only 5-10 grams, but they are sweeter and more productive.
- In order for plants to be less depleted, and the berries do not shrink after the first harvest, it is necessary to regularly feed strawberries with complex fertilizers and plant them only in fertile soil.
- Watering is also very important for the remontant strawberries: the bushes are watered regularly and abundantly, and the land between them is periodically loosened. To prevent the soil from drying out and retain moisture, it is recommended to mulch strawberries with foil, hay, sawdust, or humus.
- The early varieties of remontant strawberries start fructification already in May, the second wave of the harvest - in July, if the autumn is warm, there will be the third harvest of berries - in September. Of course, to be able to enjoy the sweet berries almost the whole season is very healthy. But such fruiting is a significant depletion of the bushes, large berries are quickly replaced by small ones, and the crop gradually becomes poorer. To avoid exhaustion, experienced gardeners recommend removing flowers that appear in the spring and collecting only one, but abundant, crop of sweet and large strawberries.
- The cultivation of remontant strawberries is practically the same as the way of planting common varieties: in spring or autumn, bushes are planted in the ground or in the greenhouse. A gardener should remember that the earlier in the fall he will plant young bushes, the more chances they have to endure the winter well. For greenhouse varieties of remontant strawberries, the planting pattern does not play a role at all, because its fruiting does not depend on the length of daylight hours. The only thing that gardeners advise in such cases is to remove the first shoots with flowers (flower stalks) so as not to weaken the bush and give it time to adapt.
- Reviews experienced gardeners indicate that large and sweeter berries appear on those bushes that give a mustache and multiply them. Strawberries, breeding seeds, called bezusoy, its fruits are smaller, but they appear throughout the season, and taste like strawberries.
- In late autumn, before the onset of these frosts, it is recommended to mow regrave strawberry bushes and remove all mustaches and leaves. After that, the strawberries are covered with spruce branches, hay, dry leaves or sawdust.
For the cultivation of remontant strawberries do not need special experience or extensive knowledge in agricultural technology: all that is needed in such varieties is watering, abundant fertilizing, protection from diseases and pests.
Repair Strawberry Varieties
It is quite difficult to determine the best varieties of remontant strawberries: each of them has its own pros and cons, distinctive features and features. As in ordinary garden strawberries, in remontant varieties, division occurs according to several criteria:
- strawberry varieties for greenhouses or for open ground;
- remonthant strawberry with pink or red fruits or a berry of an unusual shade, of a fancy shape (even varieties with violet strawberries are known, or berries that have pineapple flavor);
- early ripe, medium or late variety, starting their fruiting at different times (from May to July);
- plants that ferment all summer or yield crops two to three times (depending on the type of daylight);
- large-fruited variety or strawberries with small, but numerous and sweet berries;
- berry, suitable for transportation and canning, or the strawberry, which is good only in fresh form;
- resistant varieties that can withstand cold, heat, pests and diseases, or a capricious rare species that requires constant attention.
Tip! The description of a variety of remontant strawberries can often not correspond to what the gardener actually gets. In order for the berries to be the same as in the picture, you need to carefully care for the bushes and follow the agrotechnical rules that are recommended by the seed producer.
These strawberry varieties are often called strawberry, as the berries are very similar to the forest: small, fragrant, richly red, very sweet. The fruiting of wild varieties is stretched for the whole summer period: there will always be red berries on the bushes, not yet ripe strawberries and inflorescences for future harvest.
Attention! If the gardener needs to get one, but a bountiful harvest, he can periodically remove the flowers that appear, thereby controlling the fruiting of the repair strawberry.
Mustache, that is, processes that can take root, small-fruited strawberries do not. Therefore, its reproduction is possible only by the seed method - the gardener will have to buy or grow seedlings of strawberries on their own.
This variety has low (about 15-20 cm) spreading shrubs with powerful shoots and large leaves. The berries of the strawberry remontant are small - only 3-5 grams each, are painted in bright red color, have white flesh with a strong aroma of wild strawberry.
There are many fruits and inflorescences on the bushes, strawberries have the shape of a cone. Honeycombs are isolated because of its high yield, increased resistance to diseases and pests, the ability to endure severe frosts and intense heat.
The refreshing strawberry of this variety pleases not only with tasty fruits, but also with a decorative view of bushes. It is quite possible to decorate flower beds, balconies and terraces with such compact plants with beautiful carved leaves and small fragrant flowers.
The plant is unpretentious and quite fruitful. Small strawberries - only 7 grams, but very sweet and fragrant.
"Forest Fairy Tale"
Bushes are compact, medium height, with a lot of flower stalks throughout the season.
The berries are scarlet, have the shape of a cone, their flesh is painted white. The taste of sweet and sour strawberries, very fragrant. The mass of each fruit is about 5 grams. By the end of the season, the berries noticeably become smaller, lose their taste. Productivity varieties on top.
Early ripe repair strawberries, a photo of which can be seen below. The first fruits ripen two weeks earlier than other varieties - around mid-May.
The strawberries are relatively large (as for the group of small-fruited varieties), red, with sweet pulp. You can learn “Ruyanu” by the pronounced forest scent.
The advantages of this strawberry weight: early ripening, abundant fruiting throughout the summer, resistance to diseases and viruses, frost resistance, high yield.
Dessert view of reparative small-fruited strawberries. Ripening in this variety is also earlier - about a week earlier inflorescences and the first ripe berries appear on the bushes.
The strawberries are small, bright red, the flesh of their slightly yellowish hue, and the taste is very rich, sweet, reminiscent of strawberries from a forest lawn.
The berries of this variety of remontant strawberries can be recognized by the scarlet shade and convex seeds-seeds. The fruits are round, small - up to four grams. Their taste is excellent, sweet, without sourness.
Characteristic of this strawberry is resistance to diseases and pests.
Large-fruited remontant strawberry
Such varieties are easily distinguished by the appearance and size of the berries - the mass of each strawberry ranges from 30 to 70 grams. The same group includes varieties with gigantic fruits - each strawberry on a bush can weigh about 100 grams.
It is clear that with such sizes of fruits, varieties will be quite fruitful, because with proper care from one bush it is quite possible to collect more than a kilogram of ripe berries.
This variety differs from the previous group of small-fruited varieties by the type of fruiting: strawberries ripen not round season, but bear only two or three times (depending on the climate in the region).
A grower can easily control the fruiting of large-fruited remontant strawberries: in order to harvest a good crop of high-quality and large berries, it is necessary to remove the spring inflorescences and donate the first crop.
Important! It is necessary to understand that in order to ripen a kilogram of berries on each bush, plants must be abundantly fed and not forgetting to water the bushes regularly.
The depletion of large-fruited remontant strawberry varieties, even with good care, occurs very quickly - in 2-3 years. For the harvest to be good, and the berries - large, it is recommended as often as possible, to replace the old bushes with new ones.
The large-fruited remonthant strawberry, usually with a mustache, breeds. Rooting them is quite simple, you just need to remove all the shoots, except for the first two or three whiskers. For breeding choose the strongest maternal bushes, on the remaining plants, the whiskers are removed so as not to weaken them even more.
"Queen Elizabeth II"
This variety is quite common in Russia, because with such strawberries you can plant green areas and ennoble hilly terrain. Bushes of this variety are very powerful, tall and spreading, but there are few leaves on them.
But the berries are large (70-125 grams), scarlet, fragrant and very tasty. But to feast on such strawberries can not be long - every year the bushes should be updated.
Feedback on the variety "Queen Elizabeth II"Albina, 46 years old, Belgorod. This strawberry was the first of remontant varieties that we decided to plant on our plot. Saplings were bought in the nursery, we were warned there that in the first year the harvest would be weak, and the berries - small. We broke off the first spring inflorescences in order to improve the second harvest and give the bushes strength for rooting and development. In mid-July, large berries ripened, which were quite tasty and sweet. There were not many strawberries, but we still took 5-6 berries from each bush. The following year, "Elizabeth" has already given a full harvest, as well as many mustaches. Some of them we rooted, thereby increasing the number of bushes on the site. I can recommend removing unnecessary whiskers so as not to weaken the bushes, and for reproduction use only the first three whiskers from several bushes specially designated for breeding.
Hybrid Dutch strawberry, the berries of which have an unusual taste of nutmeg. The fruit weight is not very large - only 30 grams, but there are many such strawberries on each bush, they are fragrant and very juicy, although they have dense flesh.
Bushes are so decorative that they are often planted in pots and tubs, used in flower beds and flower beds.
Fruit "Temptation" can from May to the first autumn frosts. If winter comes early, the inflorescences and ovaries of the last wave must be removed.
This variety was bred by American breeders. The berries are medium in size (about 20 grams), are painted in a bright shade of red, tasty and fragrant.
Bushes form a large mustache, so that there will be no problems with the reproduction of strawberries. The variety withstands disease, surprises with its immunity to the attacks of spider mites and other insect pests.
And here is one of the domestic large-fruited varieties of remontant strawberries. The bushes of these plants are tall, powerful, well-branched. There are a lot of fruits on the bushes, and they are quite large - 13-35 grams.
The taste and aroma of strawberries resembles cherries. The fruits are smooth and even, often grown for sale.
The variety is well resistant to disease, able to endure severe frosts without shelter.
This repair strawberry is also from the USA. Bushes powerful and strong, well leafy, dotted with buds.
The berries are large - the average weight is 30 grams. Painted in red, have a rich taste, pleasant aroma, juicy flesh. For a grade the increased productivity is characteristic.
Attention! Monterey strawberries are not designed for the climate of most of Russia, it is recommended to grow it in greenhouses.
Repair varieties require more attention of the gardener and more care, but the yield of such strawberries is much higher, and fresh berries can be eaten in any month of the warm season.
Only the best varieties should be selected for planting on your plot, with photos and descriptions of which can be found in this article.