Watermelons in Siberia can be grown. This was proven by Siberian gardeners with their many years of experience. They were assisted by local breeders who adapted new varieties of watermelons for Siberia to the conditions of mid-latitudes and the Siberian short summer. Watermelon hybrids zoned well tolerate the climatic instability of weather in areas with a rapid spring and a fast summer period. The inhabitants of Siberia and the adjacent territories have learned how to get good harvests from their watermelon plantations not only for themselves, but also for realizing the delicious and rare berries in Siberia to the population.
Watermelons for Siberia
Siberia is not only rich in minerals, it has hardworking and persistent gardeners who do not want to retreat before the harsh climatic conditions of their region. Using modern technologies and inventions in the field of agriculture and crop production, they achieve stable yields in their gardens and gardens. Many cultures, seemingly unsuitable for cultivation in the cold climate of Siberia, have successfully taken root and give a rich harvest even in such conditions. One of them is watermelon - the fruit of the thermophilic and capricious, which was previously grown only in the south of the country.
Choosing a grade
One of the main conditions for growing watermelons in Siberia is the right choice of variety. Much depends on it, because if a variety is adapted for growth in the south, it will not have time to ripen in the north. It is worth thinking about the maturity, and, more precisely, the duration of the growing season of watermelon. It is necessary to choose varieties with an early, even super early ripening period, and a short growing season.
Siberian breeders are constantly working on breeding varieties of watermelons for Siberia that meet these requirements. It is necessary to add to this and some other requirements that must be enjoyed by varieties of watermelons of Siberian selection:
- increased resistance to weather changes, low sensitivity to cold snaps;
- the beginning of flowering and fruiting is not delayed in time, that is, a quick change of flowering and the appearance of ovaries;
- shortened terms of ripening watermelon to ripeness;
- preservation of taste and healthy qualities;
- strong, but not thick skin.
Watermelon variety for Siberia
Terms of ripening
Vegetation period / days /
Fruit weight / kg /
a brief description of
Fruits are round, the flesh is bright red, sweet and juicy, the peel is dark green in color, thin.
Fruits are large oval. Watermelon skin is thin, striped - green alternate with light green stripes, raspberry pulp, small seeds in small quantities.
End of april
The end of May
The fruit is spherical in shape, the skin is dense, thin, colored in dark green with dark stripes, the flesh is very sweet.
The scourge of watermelon grows up to 5 meters in length, the fruits are in the form of a slightly elongated ball, the flesh is pinkish in color, grainy, the seeds are large.
The record holder ultrafast varieties
Bushes are compact, lashes reach 2 meters in length, the crust is striped, the flesh is reddish, the fruits are not stored for a long time (no more than 1 month).
End of april
The end of May
A fruitful, disease-resistant grade of watermelon. Fruits are medium-sized dark green in the form of a ball. The flesh is friable, reddish and juicy.
The table shows a far from complete list of watermelon varieties suitable for cultivation in Siberia, in the Urals, and in areas close to them in climatic conditions.Attention! Residents of Siberian regions can purchase seeds of watermelons, zoned for the territories of Siberia, the Urals and the middle climatic zone of Russia in local seed farms.
Here you will pick up the seeds most suitable for growing in the area where you live. Do not order seed in the south if you live in the north of the country.
Summer in Siberia is short, but it is quite dry and hot. Such conditions are very suitable for growing watermelons, even in open ground. But not all varieties of watermelon have time to ripen in the summer time, so gardeners sow seeds in April in heated greenhouses or at home, in order to grow strong and healthy seedlings by the beginning of the season.
The seedling method of growing watermelons in Siberia is the most popular, in this case the terms of fruit ripening are reduced to the desired ripeness. The fruits of watermelons begin to fill with ripeness at the end of June, and ripen completely in July-August. In greenhouses and open areas under the film shelter, seedlings can be planted in May.
Sowing watermelons for seedlings in Siberia begins 3-4 weeks before the date of their intended landing in the ground. For more information about seed sowing, gardener Tatyana Vasilyeva tells in a video that you can watch at the end of the article. For those who prefer to read rather than watch, we recommend the following order of this operation:
- All seeds to sort, remove broken or deformed, soak for disinfection and prevention of fungal diseases in soda solution (per 100 ml of water 5-8 g of baking soda). Exposure time about 30 minutes. Then drain the solution, remove sunflower seeds (they are empty), rinse and place on a damp cloth. Previously, the soaking procedure was carried out in a weak solution of potassium permanganate, but today it will be difficult to get it in pharmacies, so gardeners can also successfully use soda or furatsilina solution.
- Watermelon seeds should germinate within 1-2 days. After this period, if some seeds have not opened and the roots have not been released, try to manually open the sharp ends of the seed, that is, open the top part. Use small tweezers or scissors for this.
- Prepare containers for sowing watermelon seeds, disinfect them if they are not being used for the first time. Pour a layer (1 cm) of drainage material on the bottom: small pebbles, coarse sand, brick chips, egg shells. From above, at a height of 2/3 of the tank, you need to pour out the soil, sifted through a sieve, so that its structure is loose and light.
- Pour the entire soil with hot water (you can add a special growth stimulator), after soaking up, make small indentations for each watermelon seed.
- Place the seeds in containers, cover them with glass or plastic wrap, put in a warm place (not below + 25 ° C). Water from time to time with a small amount of warm, better thawed, water.
Watermelon seedlings for Siberia will be ready for planting in the ground within 3-4 weeks.Tip! We recommend growing watermelon seedlings immediately in larger containers so that during the beginning of the growing season, the roots of watermelons develop faster, and then the plant would give all its strength to the growth of shoots and the formation of ovaries.
In this case, there will be no need for picking seedlings into separate pots, which significantly retards the development of the plant.
Transplant to the greenhouse
Conventional greenhouses for summer cottages are small in size, many watermelons cannot be grown in them, therefore gardeners use a vertical way of planting watermelon seedlings in greenhouses, that is, they strengthen shoots of shoots on poles and trellis, and fruits are placed in special thin, but strong nets, tied them on small posts or ceiling grilles.
The diagram below the present paragraph clearly reflects the width of the beds for watermelon seedlings (90 cm), the distance between seedlings bushes (70 cm) and the intermediate distance between rows (50 cm). This scheme is considered the most optimal for growing watermelons in the greenhouse. The procedure for planting watermelon seedlings is as follows:
- in the greenhouse they prepare the seats: they apply fertilizer to the soil, dig up and water the ground 2 weeks before planting the seedlings (or in the autumn);
- for each bush, seedlings are dug a hole (see diagram) with a depth of just over 30 cm, watering again;
- watermelon seedlings are removed from the pot, trying to save a whole clod of earth, for this, seedlings must be poured with water before cutting;
- plant with a lump put vertically in the hole and added dropwise;
- the soil is mulched on top of tree bark (crushed);
- set the trellis or supports.
If the watermelon seedlings are already quite tall, remove the first stepchildren and nip the main stem. As the seedlings grow, choose 2 or 3 shoots, the rest (weak or poorly growing) are removed. In the future, ongoing care for the seedlings of watermelons:
- water the seedlings only with warm, warmed water in the sun;
- feeding seedlings spend 2-3 times a month;
- remove weeds, loosen the soil;
- carry out prevention and control of diseases and pests (if necessary).
Do not forget about regular airing of the greenhouse, watermelons love warm and fresh air.
Planting in open ground
The technology of planting seedlings of watermelons for Siberia in open ground is not much different from the greenhouse landing. The main difference is a shift in the time of landing for a month, if a plant is made in a greenhouse in April, then watermelons are planted on open melons only at the end of May or at the very beginning of June.
At the end of the paragraph there is a video where an experienced melon grower from Siberia talks about planting watermelons in open ground in his own way. And we provide our readers with written recommendations on planting seedlings on garden bahche:
- In the fall, you need to prepare a plot for your future melon: fertilize, dig up the ground.
- In the spring we dig up the soil again 2 weeks before planting the seedlings. The ground for watermelons should preferably be sandy, light and loose.
- Digging holes according to the above scheme.
- We spill with water, you can add a little growth stimulator so that the seedlings adapt more quickly to the new place.
- Carefully remove the seedlings from the planting tank (along with a lump of substrate) and place the watermelon sprout in the pits. We mulch the surface with humus, compost, peat.
Special watermelon melon does not require special care, all the procedures are normal: watering, fertilizing, loosening and removing weeds. In Siberia, the summer can be cold, in this case it is necessary to provide warming landings, especially at night. Install simple arcs and prepare plastic wrap, you can use pieces of roofing material or slate for insulation, old linoleum.
Watermelons in Siberia are no longer a curiosity, as it was just recently. Residents of these regions do not have to wait for the time when this tasty fruit will ripen in the south and it will be brought to local markets and shops. Siberian gardeners successfully grow them in their personal plots and use the earliest, and most importantly, ecological pure miracle berries.